Assigning lessons is an optional feature (for users of the Complete version), that can be used on top of Lalilo’s usual adaptive path to target a specific lesson or to make your students move back to an earlier lesson.
The purpose is not to target lessons that students struggle with, since the normal path already takes care of it. (It already chooses lessons and exercises based on each student’s difficulties.) However, assignments are very useful in various other cases.
Why use assignments?
Lalilo will automatically choose the lessons and exercises for each student, based on the placement test and on the scope and sequence document.
When a lesson is not validated yet (blue and red tiles), the student will keep seeing the corresponding exercises until they validate the lesson.
Assigning lessons is an optional feature, available for users with the Complete version, that can be very helpful in various cases:
- Align Lalilo with your classroom teaching: you can assign the content you’re currently teaching to have your students practicing the same concept, with differentiated exercises.
- Remediation or review: you can also assign specific lessons for targeted instruction with the aim of remediation, or you can have your students revisit previously taught content for the purpose of review.
- Placement test: If they got help during the placement test and they have skipped a few lessons that they haven't really mastered yet, you can assign those lessons. However, in that case, we recommend that you assign a new placement test instead.
How can I assign a lesson to my class or cancel it?
It's very easy!
You can assign lessons from 3 different places :
- In your weekly e-mail, you have a button to add an assignment, which will take you directly to your Lalilo account and open a window to do it.
- In the "Assignments" tab on the left menu, you can click a button to add an assignment, which will open a window to do it.
- In the Snapshot tab of your Lalilo account, if there is no ongoing assignment for your class, you will see a button to add one, which will open a window to do it.
Once the window appears, you will be able to search for the lesson you want to assign.
Once the lesson is selected, click "Assign".
In the Snapshot tab, you will be able to see the students' progress for the ongoing lesson assigned to the class.
If you want to cancel an assignment, go to the "Assignments" tab, tick the box on the left and click on "Mark as complete" or "Delete". By marking them as complete, they will still appear in the list of assigned lessons. You can also edit assigned lessons in bulk by ticking several boxes on the left.
Key things to know about assignments
- You can assign several lessons to your class. The latest class assignment created will be the first one given to students. However, we recommend having only one assignment ongoing at a time to align Lalilo closely with your classroom teachings.
- Students will always see the most recently created assignment first.
- Most teachers recommend assigning one or two class assignments per week, and not more than 4 for each students.
What is the duration of assignments?
To complete an assignment, students must go through a specific number of exercises within a 14-day timeframe. If the assignment is not completed within this period, it will expire, and students won't play it anymore.
Are assignments differentiated?
Yes, the content of the lessons you're assigning to students is differentiated based on their level and answers.
Should I assign lessons students are struggling on?
You should not assign lessons students are already struggling on, as Lalilo will continue giving this lesson to students until mastery.
Can I assign several lessons to my whole class?
You can assign several lessons to your class. The latest class assignment created will be the first one given to students. However, we recommend having only one assignment ongoing at the time to align closely Lalilo with your classroom teachings.
If I assign a lesson to the whole class, will each student get the same activity or will the activity content vary?
The assigned lesson will be the same for the whole class. Within the lesson, the students may work on different exercises. This is based on their overall performance on Lalilo on other lessons. Comprehension lessons, however, will all be the same.
Once a lesson is assigned, when will students see it?
The next time your students log in to Lalilo, they will work on each skill of the assigned lessons. Once they have completed each skill, the assignment will show up as complete in your assignments page, even if the student has not mastered that lesson yet.
Can I assign a lesson already assigned to a student?
If the assignment for a lesson is still ongoing, you cannot assign the same lesson to a student.
Can I assign lessons before my students started their placement test?
You can assign lessons before students finish the placement test; however, the assignments won't be given to students until they have completed their placement test.
If you need further information, feel free to submit a Support ticket.